Have I been running? Did I run? Were those clouds the dim denial
of sun? To what degree was that mirrored lake an exploration or great
escape? I knew well if I stayed I would never move, lodged in logic,
convinced and soothed, so
despite biting anxiety that has burned
away, I have learned a stillness, the resolve to stay. In reply to
that voice press on, press on I ask, where have my convictions gone?
Where is peace, if in my heart, to lay its head? And with
whom is she to share her bed? In outstretched arms before a gentle
nudge I want to run forever and never budge. Is this a race
with a ribboned end, or a journey over which I segment
and spread? There is an us that has never seen routine
and an unpeeled love ripe for time unseen. Will I house
life or will life house me, and through which will I shine for those
in need to see?
"What is poetry? It is a pulsing fragment of the inner life, an untethered music." Lawrence Ferlinghetti
Poetry in Process:
Selected poems to be included in "When Light Makes Long Shadows: A Collection of Poetry" due for publication in 2009.